If you’ve been following me for some time, you know castor oil has been a protocol I’ve recommended for many years. Like many others, however, I felt that it was time consuming, really messy, and not very practical. Not anymore! The castor-oil packs have helped my digestive and liver health in so many ways. I can’t say enough about them! This article on castor-oil packs was Contributed by a well-known Canadian doctor, Dr. Marisol Teijeiro (aka “Queen of The Thrones).
- Castor Oil Packs Support Your Terrain, Your Ecosystem, so You Can HEAL
- Castor Oil Packs Reduce Stress
- Castor Oil Packs Aid Detoxification
- Castor Oil Packs Reduce Inflammation
- Castor Oil Packs Move The Bowels
- Castor Oil Packs Improve the Microbiome
- Castor Oil Packs Support Your Terrain/Ecosystem So You Can HEAL
- Castor oil can be one of the simplest and least expensive of all treatments. A treatment that is legendary, has been around since biblical times and before that, goddesses, queens and gurus used this treatment because it does something that other treatments cannot.
- It doesn’t just work on one thing, it has a holistic reach, multi-targeting effect on the processes of the regulatory systems. It’s called the castor oil pack.
Castor Oil Packs and Hormones
- Keep stress hormone cortisol balanced, promote feel-good hormones
- Reset your bodies’ cleansing mechanisms and high antioxidants
- Keep your bowels moving – digestion, assimilation and elimination
- Help with progesterone production
- Detoxify from metabolized estrogens
- Keep inflammation low and alkalization high
- Reset your microbiome, break down biofilm
- Castor Oil Packs Reduce Stress, Support the Adrenals
- The issue with stress is that we are completely out of practice with being relaxed. The more stressed you are, the more you are robbing Peter to pay Paul. While you’re under stress you won’t be able to build your own progesterone to improve your situation.
In order to truly reengage our bodies’ vital force, the healing powers of nature so to speak, we have to adopt sacred rituals into our daily health practice that promote a relaxed state.
- In the same way that an Olympian trains for the Olympics, the more we practice relaxation, the more agile we become and the easier it will be for us to maintain low stress levels.
Castor oil packs are the very best health tool for this.
When you improve your ability to shift and move into the relaxed (parasympathetic) state, you get a variety of physiological benefits. Not only do you improve your immune system, but when you are in the relaxed state you digest, absorb and eliminate much better.
- Digestion is flawless, mainly because when relaxed, your gut mucosa is functioning at a high level. When stressed, it is leaky, the gap junctions are lost, and it loses its ability to help you accomplish your ever important goals .
When relaxed and using the pack, the smooth touch of the pack on your skin stimulates the bonding and love hormone, oxytocin. The area of the brain that lights up is the limbic system, otherwise known as the emotional area of the brain, leaving you feeling satisfied by the fulfilling neurotransmitter, dopamine.
- Castor Oil Packs Maximize Detoxification
- To balance hormones in the body, the system must cleanse optimally. You shouldn’t only cleanse in the spring and fall, your goal should be to optimize cleansing daily to reduce your toxic load.
- Cleansing, otherwise known as depuration, is the ideal daily elimination of metabolites from the processing of toxins via glucuronidation, amino conjugation, sulfation, etc.
- In estrogen dominance, an enzyme called beta-glucuronidase that deconjugates estrogens and allows them to recirculate in the body, has been shown to be elevated. Castor oils help to lower levels of beta-glucuronidase.
- Castor oil has shown to improve levels of the ever important cleansing molecule glutathione. Glutathione carries out toxins, byproducts of plastics, BPA (remember, don’t carry your food or oils in plastic, EVER!) and estrogens out of the body.
- Since you place the pack under your right ribcage, you are exerting an anti-inflammatory effect on the liver that eases and improves its action. It’s so good for your liver that it has been shown to even reduce cholesterol and liver enzymes.
- Castor Oil Packs Reduce Inflammation
- Inflammation fans the flame of hormonal imbalances like a wild fire going out of control. Castor oil packs calm the fire, like a water helicopter dousing the flames with gallons upon gallons of water.
The majority of inflammation in our bodies is housed in the gut and intestines because they are constantly exposed to the outside world (A.K.A. food and bugs).
- The anti-inflammatory effect of castor oil packs is so profound that people experience a reduction in pain, mainly through the modulation of substance P. Many also note a reduction in central weight, as its cause is often abdominal inflammation.
- Again, daily practice is what makes a difference, this is not a one time thing! You are working towards your greater good here.
Castor oil has also been shown to help with reducing cysts and fibroids, and significantly improving the pain associated with these. Lowering systemic inflammation is also a key strategy for reducing estrogen dominance, PCOS and adrenal issues.
If you’re backed up (as in: Constipated), which many of you with hormonal problems are, you are recirculating the excess hormones that your body is trying to eliminate. It’s like taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back, overwhelming your poor liver that has to do double duty.
Castor oil packs have shown to be as effective as laxatives because they stimulate the PGE3 receptors of smooth muscles that contract the intestines to move the junk out.
As my mother used to say, better out than in. Always get the junk out. A clean liver is key to keeping good hormonal balance.
An unhealthy microbiome causes estrogen dominance. In fact, we have a distinct set of bacteria that is specifically responsible for estrogen metabolism, known as the estrobolome.
Along with biofilm breakdown, castor oil packs help you to achieve hormonal balance by inhibition of fungal candida infections.
Castor oil has been shown to stimulate the production of nitric oxide, a natural anti-aging and health promoting molecule that inhibits yeast overgrowth.
The Queen of Thrones™ castor oil pack is by far the easiest way to go. A 3-step, mess-less process I created for myself (because I wasn’t going to do the traditional 12 step protocol) and my patients to comply.
What is Best Practice with the Castor Oil Pack? The Overnight Relaxation Routine
Wearing the pack for 1 hour each day will benefit your body, but if you want transformation, long-term healing, your best hormonal balance and great poops, you need to commit more time to this practice.
The great thing is, the time you need to commit to this practice is best done when you are sleeping! How easy is that?
When you sleep, your body switches into the relaxed state. For those of us with sleeping problems, this can be very difficult.
Alas, one of the best things about the castor oil pack is that it is like the “escape button” on your computer. When you put the Queen of the Thrones™ castor oil pack on, it switches your body into the relaxed state so that you can have a good night’s sleep.
Wearing your pack overnight is easy and essential, because what I didn’t tell you is that while we sleep our bodies clean up. It is the most important time that cleansing happens in the body. Unfortunately, for many of us with hormonal problems, we have so much inflammation, unhealthy gut bacteria, lack of antioxidants and stress.
Castor oil packs work because they support the foundation of health, improving functional problems of the gut, antioxidant status, reducing inflammation, calming stress and resetting the microbiome.
Don’t be surprised if you wake up in the morning and you have to poop right away. You may also experience that your stool is different, smells funny or makes you want to run away in disgust.
1). Wear it daily, if you can.
Wear daily for at least 1 hour or overnight for best effect.
2). Wear over the liver (under the right rib cage).
3). Make sure to use the soft part of the compress on your skin. Pour 2 tablespoons of organic castor oil onto the pack. Please DO NOT use castor oil stored in plastic bottles (I explain why that’s so important below).
4). Pour the oil in the center of the compress and not too close to the seam – or else it may leak.
5). It’s safest to wear old PJs when wearing the pack.
6). Wear it overnight rather than for just an hour.
As easy as 1,2,3 – C.O.P!
C – Compress with soft side facing up
O – Organic oil in the middle, avoid the seams
P – Place under right ribcage, over liver. Heat is optional and great for period pains
Plastics drastically affect hormones, because many plastics mimic the chemical structure of hormones, especially estrogen. They squat on our receptors, not allowing our bodies to balance out normally. The result is hormonal havoc for those with thyroid disease or estrogen dominance problems.
Castor oil is an extremely strong binder, transferring, and carrier oil and doesn’t discriminate between healthy molecules and toxic plastic molecules. This means that if your castor oil is housed in a plastic bottle, you are carrying molecules from the plastic into your body. Now for a women with hormonal problems, this is absolutely devastating.
Even if your bottle is BPA free, we now know there are many other plastic molecules that are not polymerized. They easily separate from the plastic container, especially when oil is what is filling the bottle.
Oils are the best carriers for plastics and toxins because their molecules are lipophilic, meaning fat-loving, and oil is purely fat. This is why it is imperative to purchase and store castor oil in a glass bottle.
Most manufacturers use plastic bottles because it is a cheaper material and the cost of shipping is lower. At Queen of the Thrones™ I refuse to compromise!
The reason that it might not work for some people is this – to get the benefit, you need to do this health practice right. Wearing the pack for 1 hour each day will benefit your body, but if you want transformation, long-term healing, your best hormonal balance and great poops, you need to commit more time to this practice. The ideal is to wear the Queen of the Thrones™ castor oil pack overnight, every night.
Do I have to use heat over my Castor Oil Pack?
When you use your Queen of the Thrones™ castor oil pack, heat is optional. The pack is designed to maximize and hold in your own natural body heat, without adding more. This makes these packs so easy and comfortable to do.
Heat is used in natural medicine to stimulate certain functions. Heat slows things down. If you are constipated, the last thing that you want to do is add more heat to your gut. This will slow you down even more.
Can I use essential oils with my Castor oil Packs?
Yes, in fact, I recommend that you dilute them with castor oil. Due to its unique molecular weight, it is the best oil to transport molecules into the dermis.
Can I do Castor Oil Packs when on my period?
People have often said to not wear the pack during their period for fear of bleeding too heavily. This is very important for woman with hormonal problems. Especially if they have menorrhagia, which is very heavy bleeding with periods, or dysmenorrhea, painful periods with abdominal cramps.
Castor oil packs don’t make you bleed more, they help clear the uterine lining that needs to come out of the body.
Castor oil packs can even help with your cramping. Just make sure, in this case, to add an external source of heat like a hot water bottle, which will make it more comfortable.
How will I feel when doing a Castor Oil Pack?
You feel calm, some people say they feel the “LOVE”. This is likely because wearing a pack stimulates dopamine, our “feel good”neurotransmitter and oxytocin, the “love and attachment hormone. You may sleep incredibly well because the castor oil pack relaxes your body, it switches you into the relaxed state. If you are using the pack for abdominal pain you will find that in most cases the pain dissipates quite rapidly.
After wearing the pack in the evening, most people experience a flatter stomach in the morning, bloating is gone and they feel energized.
These are the reasons it’s common practice to do castor oil packs daily (or nightly).
Where on my body do I place the Castor Oil Pack?
The most common placement of the castor oil pack is on the liver, underneath the right ribcage. This area covers many of the digestive organs, including the stomach, the pancreas, the small intestine, large intestine, adrenals, and kidneys.
Sometimes, castor oil packs are used locally for pain or for specific treatments such as ovarian cysts, fibroids, hip pain, and joint pains of all types. In these cases, it’s still beneficial to place it on your liver, but on alternating days it should be placed locally on the area.
Patients with thyroid nodules can place the Castor Oil Pack at the bottom of their throat where the thyroid is located. The compress might be a little large, in which case I recommend to get my Beauty Sleep Eye Kit which contains an eye compress.
How to wash my Castor Oil Pack?
Washing your castor oil pack is quite easy. Ideally, your goal is to not wash it, instead – in your daily use, be careful to keep the oil in the middle of the pack, away from the seams.
If you wish to wash the pack:
- Soak it overnight in a bowl in a mixture of hot water, baking soda, and natural dish soap.
- In the morning, hand wash with hot water and natural dish soap, wring it out very well.
- Take an old tea towel (that you don’t mind ruining) and lay the outer layer of the pack against it. Roll the pack up in the tea towel, blotting out the oil until there is little oily residue left on the outer layer.
- Hang to dry.
- Does castor oil go rancid?
Can I share my Castor Oil Pack?
Please don’t share your castor oil pack, it is like sharing underwear. It’s a very individual thing. We don’t know exactly if castor oil is transferred back out of the skin onto your pack, but knowing this oil, there is a high likelihood that it does.
Who should not use castor oils packs?
- Take 2 tablespoons of castor oil in the mouth
- Swish around and pull through your teeth in the mouth for 2 minutes
- Spit into a garbage or outside (I don’t recommend spitting oil down your drain)
Remember, ONLY purchase oils in GLASS bottles.
Your health is a journey and this my friend, is a foundational first step that you do not want to miss. Everything that you do after this will work better and faster because castor oil packs set the terrain, the environment for your body to heal.
I wish you the best in this world and remember, miracles happen every day, only if you practice them everyday.
Dr. Marisol Teijeiro, ND, BA – QOTT
Naturopathic Doctor, Queen of the Thrones™