Summer Harvest Soup
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 30 mins
Servings: 6 servings
1 large leek, both white and light
green parts, rinsed well and thinly sliced ( about 1 cup)
1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
½ cup dry white wine
7 cups Vegetable Stock * see note
3 small carrots, sliced ¼ inch thick, (about ¾ cup)
½ cup trimmed and sliced (1-inch inch pieces) green beans
½ cup trimmed and sliced (1-inch pieces) yellow wax beans
1 cup diced (1/2-inch dice) baby summer squash
1 cup diced (1/2 –inch dice) baby zucchini
½ cup fresh shelled English peas
½ cup fresh corn kernels
2 cups diced vine-ripened tomatoes
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil
1-tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2. Add the wine, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook until the wine is almost evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the shiitake vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
3. Add the carrots, green beans, and yellow beans and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add the summer squash, zucchini, peas, and corn and let simmer until the vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. Do not overcook or the bright vegetables colors will be lost.
4. Add the tomatoes, basil, thyme, and parsley and let simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Discard the bay leaf.
* Simple Vegetable Stock (makes about 7 cups)
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 carrots chopped
- 2 sticks celery
- 4 litres water
- handful parsley stalks
- few spring thyme
- 1 teaspoon whole black or white peppercorns (12 total)
Wash & chop veggies roughly. Combine all the veggies and herbs into a large pot and fill with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour. Strain and discard solids. Store for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Transform summer’s vegetable bounty into this incrediblely beautiful soup, with bursts of red, green, yellow, and orange drifting in a pale amber broth.
This amazing soup is from the Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook by Mara Goodman.