Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew
Prep Time: 0 hr 20 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 0 min
6 cups of water or Nourishing Broth*
1 large onion, chopped
4 minced garlic cloves
2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 peeled and diced sweet
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 strip seaweed Kombu*
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 Tbsp curry powder
a pinch of sea salt
1. Heat 2 Tbsp coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add cumin, turmeric,curry powder until Fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
2. Add large onion with a few pinches sea salt, and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and fresh ginger and cook, stirring, until tender. Add the sweet potatoes and celery.
4. Add 1 1/2cups rinsed red lentils and 6 cups water or nourishing broth.
**(Add 1 strip seaweed Kombu) The addition of the seaweed kombu will aid in the digestion of the lentils.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender.
6. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Top with chopped fresh cilantro before serving.
Lentils are a superfood for a number of reasons in addition to their high fiber content. When it comes to maintaining beautiful skin and keeping unwanted pounds at bay, and lentils are a body's best friend. The reason is because they are very low-glycemic. This means they will not cause a rapid rise in blood sugar when eaten, the way sugary, starchy food do. Lentils are anti-inflammatory foods, and will keep your blood sugar stable-key in preventing dull, dry, wrinkled sagging skin and hard to lose body fat.