A recipe for a popular herbal remedy that combines gut-supporting apple cider vinegar with powerful herbs to give you a full-body immunity boost. It’s called Fire Cider, and it’s the big thing right now! Some of you might remember a few years ago when I did interviews with leaders in the field of health and wellness. One of those experts was world-renowned herbalist Rosemary Gladstar. She’s written 12 best-selling herbal books, taught generations of herbalists, and started non-profits, two herb stores, and a school. She also co-founded Traditional Medicinals™.
Rosemary’s original recipe, inspired by traditional cider vinegar remedies, has given rise to dozens of fire cider formulations, created by fans of the tonic who use it to address everyday ills, from colds and flu to leg cramps and hangovers.
I have a huge batch of traditional fire cider going! And I’ll be trying some other recipes from her book over the holidays: Triple Goddess Vinegar, Fire Cider Dark Moonshine, and Bloody Mary Fire Cider!
The base of the Fire Cider healing remedy is apple cider vinegar, which is really good for you. It’s a jack-of-all trades that brings your body back into homeostasis by introducing healthy bacteria to your gut flora, which is key to your immune system, detoxification system, and mental health.
When you add to the mix more healing herbs — like garlic, ginger, turmeric, horseradish, cayenne, and adaptogens — you have a strong remedy that can be used as a wellness shot to either prevent illness or shorten your recovery time if you’re already feeling sick.
If you’re not busy over the holidays, venture out and try this recipe!
Fire CiderIngredients and their healing properties:
- ¼ cup horseradish – fights pathogens
- ¼ cup onion – fights pathogens
- ¼ cup garlic – anti-bacterial (expose the cut garlic to oxygen
- for 10 minutes to activate its flu-fighting compounds)
- ⅛ cup fresh grated turmeric – immune-boosting
- ⅛ cup grated ginger – for respiratory support
- Cayenne, to taste – keeps digestion going
- A couple sprigs of Rosemary – for mental clarity
- 1 cinnamon stick – relaxes tense tummies
- ¼ cup calendula – lymphatic mover (optional)
- Apple cider vinegar – modulates gut flora, which boosts
- immunity, mental health, and digestive health
- ¼ cup honey – soothes the inner lining of the gut
- 1-quart glass jar